eGPU setup for Laptops

RobinHood

Clan Admin
FFF Member
Ratings
Real Name
Alex
This is pretty awesome, was looking at new laptops and didn't realise that external gpus units had come so far - especially with regards to mac drivers!

I can definitely see my primary PC being a Mac Laptop in the future and having an an external GPU on my desk at home for gaming, with a simple single cable being plugged in to make it all work.

Forget messing around with a big tower, these external GPU setups combined with an external monitor solve all the bulky power issues :)

OP
OP
RobinHood

RobinHood

Clan Admin
FFF Member
Ratings
Real Name
Alex
It does seem like it! I think what with the the push to AR and VR Apple are all in on graphics with their upcoming iMac Pros. This eGPU solution seems to be their bridge for their MacBook line of laptops. The next few years will be amazing if these take off :)

Ratings
I was watching Jayztwocents video not so long back about this, apparently the performance is awesome when using a external GPU, Though I do believe thunder bolt is faster than generic USB

OP
OP
RobinHood

RobinHood

Clan Admin
FFF Member
Ratings
Real Name
Alex
Hmm, seems like quite a lot of performance drop according to that vid 30-40% :(

I wonder if it's the cable or just because of all the overhead from dealing with a seperate IO device. Hopefully they'll get better with time.

OP
OP
RobinHood

RobinHood

Clan Admin
FFF Member
Ratings
Real Name
Alex
There is a moment in the video where I state that the GPU will boost performance even without an external monitor. To be completely clear, this will eventually be the case. Apple has stated intentions to support eGPU setups natively (Spring 2018). For now, an external monitor is necessary to take advantage of the new card. *Also important to mention, this unit will work with Windows so long as your laptop has a Thunderbolt 3 port.
For those asking about power consumption here is the email from Mantiz (product manufacturer). Keep in mind I believe he is referring to the units entire power consumption during benchmark. "Hi Lewis, Its really a pity that Venus is not able to use Vega 64 for bench-marking at the moment, Vega 64 peak power is 650W which will trigger our PSU to shut down. We are looking at the possibility to modified our PSU to accommodate the sudden spike in power for Vega64. We encourage people to explore all options, if you do change power supply, make sure it is 700W, SFX minimum and please let your viewers know that this will void warranty."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)