New Feature Get push alerts for site notifications to your smartphone

RobinHood

Clan Admin
FFF Member
Real Name
Alex
upload_2014-12-5_14-57-55.png

Hello all!

So I added a feature to the site a while back, but never got around to creating a guide on how to set it up. It's one of the coolest features we've ever had on the site (IMO). It's the ability to have push notifications sent directly to your phone whenever you receive an alert on the site.

Tapatalk used to have a similar feature when the app was installed on your phone, however I uninstalled Tapatalk for a number of reason. These include site security issues, user data security issues, reliability, limiting site usability outside of the core components and more.

In the end I figured it was best to scrap it, especially now that that the most important parts of the site are fully responsive and look good on mobile. The problem with this is that we lost the fantastic push notification functionality.

Well now it's back, in the form of Pushover. This is an app that you can install on your iOS or Android phone and it's sole purpose is to send push notifcations for various alerts you've decided to associate with the app from around the web. It can be the FFF site and many other sites too. Once you receive the alert, you'll be brought to the responsive version of the site in your web browser though, rather than being stuck browing in a 3rd party app.

To activate the alerts you need to do the following:

1. Download the app from the app store.
- iOS users can find it here.
- Android users can find it here.

The app is free to download, but I believe you need to pay about $3 for the full version. This is a one off cost and well worth it. I've been testing it for a few months and it works great.

2. Register a pushover account. You can do this in app or go to https://pushover.net/ and register there.

3. Once registered go to the External Accounts page from your user menu on the FFF site. http://www.fffsquad.com/account/external-accounts

4. Copy and paste in your Pushover user key, which can be found in the app or by going to the main Pushover website and logging in.

5. Finish by confirming the details and clicking the 'Asscociate with Pushover' button on your FFF Squad user account page.

That should do it! Now you should receive push notifications for new alerts on your phone or tablet from the FFF site.

I don't think I've left anything out. Give it a go and let me know how you get on and if it works for you.

Cheers,
Robin :)

FFFMayhem

forum whore!
FFF Member
Inactive
Steam ID
fffmayhem
Xbox Gamertag
MaYh3M32
I really like this. It will be very good for organising matches ect

OP
OP
RobinHood

RobinHood

Clan Admin
FFF Member
Real Name
Alex
Yes! This is one of my all time fav upgrades mate. Its insanely good for active social interaction on the forum. Get the app, I can't recommend it highly enough even though it costs a few quid. Well worth it :)

OP
OP
RobinHood

RobinHood

Clan Admin
FFF Member
Real Name
Alex
One of the main reasons for installing this was to emulate the most useful feature of the Tapatalk and Facebook app, which is push notifications to your phone or tablet.

Combined with the good responsive theme, we are now missing no features that Tapatalk contributed.

Tapatalk has received a lot of flak the last year or so for security issues. The icing on the cake was when their servers were hacked last week due to a 3rd party Wordpress vulnerability on their website. This allowed many of their usernames and passwords to be harvested.

I have now requested they permanently delete all of my personal account details required as an admin to use their app on the forum. The Tapatalk add on files have also been removed from the FFF server so you will no longer be able to use the app.

Using pushover for notifications and the responsive theme for browsing is now the most secure way to browse the site on mobile.

If you'd like a shortcut on your phone to get to the site, similar to the Tapatalk app icon you can use the 'Add to home screen' feature in Safari on iOS. There's probably something similar for android. Will post pics of what this looks like in the next post.

beermadhatter611

FFF Member
Inactive
Steam ID
stevefarrier
Origin ID
beermadhatter
just downloaded and paid license for app will let you know in next couple of days

beermadhatter611

FFF Member
Inactive
Steam ID
stevefarrier
Origin ID
beermadhatter
doesn't seem to show all notifications as yet trying to adjust settings on it now!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom