- Jun 20, 2010
- Real Name
So I added a feature to the site a while back, but never got around to creating a guide on how to set it up. It's one of the coolest features we've ever had on the site (IMO). It's the ability to have push notifications sent directly to your phone whenever you receive an alert on the site.
Tapatalk used to have a similar feature when the app was installed on your phone, however I uninstalled Tapatalk for a number of reason. These include site security issues, user data security issues, reliability, limiting site usability outside of the core components and more.
In the end I figured it was best to scrap it, especially now that that the most important parts of the site are fully responsive and look good on mobile. The problem with this is that we lost the fantastic push notification functionality.
Well now it's back, in the form of Pushover. This is an app that you can install on your iOS or Android phone and it's sole purpose is to send push notifcations for various alerts you've decided to associate with the app from around the web. It can be the FFF site and many other sites too. Once you receive the alert, you'll be brought to the responsive version of the site in your web browser though, rather than being stuck browing in a 3rd party app.
To activate the alerts you need to do the following:
1. Download the app from the app store.
- iOS users can find it here.
- Android users can find it here.
The app is free to download, but I believe you need to pay about $3 for the full version. This is a one off cost and well worth it. I've been testing it for a few months and it works great.
2. Register a pushover account. You can do this in app or go to https://pushover.net/ and register there.
3. Once registered go to the External Accounts page from your user menu on the FFF site. http://www.fffsquad.com/account/external-accounts
4. Copy and paste in your Pushover user key, which can be found in the app or by going to the main Pushover website and logging in.
5. Finish by confirming the details and clicking the 'Asscociate with Pushover' button on your FFF Squad user account page.
That should do it! Now you should receive push notifications for new alerts on your phone or tablet from the FFF site.
I don't think I've left anything out. Give it a go and let me know how you get on and if it works for you.