Looking to upgrade

Tyr

FFF Member
Ratings
So this rig is 2 years old now and hasn't had much done to it since it was built.

Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
Processor: Intel i7-6700k @4.00GHz
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti
RAM: 32gb
Storage: Boot 120gb ssd / Steam 500gb ssd / Other stuff: 500gb hdd
Power Supply: Be Quiet 1300w

Was planning a graphics update but may as well wait now for the 1100 series end of the year.
So planning processor and considering switching to m.2 storage rather than ssd.

Any suggestions? Or anyone already using m.2 got any pointers.

Ultraco

Clan Admin
FFF Member
Ratings
I guess with this setup you can run most of the games at a good fps. So cant really tell you what to do, new cpu might end up in a new motherboard and ram aswell.

What do you wanne do with the rig and on what resolution are you playing?

For now is should say put the money on the bank for a new GPU.
I cant help you with the m2 storage, im still running a old ssd.

Ratings
CPU wise you're fine bud, no point in upgrading if you only game has most if not all games only utilise 4 cores top... GPU wise good luck with the 1100 or 2200 series cards has Nvidia has flooded the market with more 10 series cards so looks like the new graphics cards wont be released anytime soon... M.2 Drives are fine if you're after severe fast boot up speeds and programs that will make use from the speeds, has for gaming you can throw that idea out with window most SSD's only increase load speeds of maps, for gaming I use a 2TB SSHD Firecuda drive, has the cache of a SSD with the storage of a mechanical, best thing I could suggest mate is save your money.

OP
OP
Tyr

Tyr

FFF Member
Ratings
Yeah I tend to be able to play most things on high using my oldschool 1920 resolution monitor, my 4k monitor tends to chill out with discord or the such on as I can't smoothly run many things on it hence wanting to move up to 1080ti, but this near to 1100 series seems silly to upgrade it at this point. got two more years minimum (built this one Feb 2016) before i build a fresh rig and looking at benchmarks my processor is pretty much running at the top end of what my board can use.
As for graphics, whose to say my board will take 1100 series. damnit nvidia give us details already :(
Been talking myself in and out of things for a while now. For now I think I'll just do a fresh windows install and regain some of the lost speed while I continue to look into m.2.
Main priority is switching internet providers in a month or two. Sky can suck my left testicle, sick of there slowness.

Ratings
Hahaha yea that's why i tended to stay with Virgin Media (gettings 390 MBPS down and 25 MBPS up).

Mate even with the 1100 series bud they can't make them specific for a certain board so I can assure you they'll be compatible pal they'll loose way too much money mate, my dad has a 8700k and when it comes down to gaming I put his 1080ti in my rig there was a increase in fps but not very noticeable and to be honest when it comes down to 4k gaming it's mainly down to GPU anyway mate, I agree with you though I have so many people asking for info on the next gen of gpus has they want Pc's upgrading or building (I build pc's) and I can't provide any info lol.

OP
OP
Tyr

Tyr

FFF Member
Ratings
For now I shall continue to deposit money into the PC Fund and hope that the 1100 series is worth waiting for.
Do need to sort my storage out though, don't like having a mishmash of drives in there. Whats the life span on SSD, fairly sure my boot drive is about five years old, and it hasn't been treated in the best of ways. At the very least it could probably do with a wipe or replacing with a newer model, it was the first SSD I bought and it's been good to me over the years.

Ratings
Well here's the thing, I've had my OCZ Vertex R2 for years now, an they say a life time expectancy of around 5 years BUT i have a program with my SSD that tells me the health of the drive and mines still at 100% but you can get other software that will tell you :).

[FFF]Skellen

Clan Admin
FFF Member
Ratings
Real Name
Mos or Pete will do just fine...
Steam ID
->FFF<-Sk3ll3n
Origin ID
RockNrolla1975
Had two ssd`s crap out at the weekend, get it replaced before you loose all your data,
I went for a Samsung 250gb 960 evo (m2 for the Os) and a 1tb 860 for games and audio, not to expensive.
I have to agree with Co & Anni on there posts above the upgrade (total wast of money ) i stepped up from titan maxwell (oveerclocked on h20)
to a 1080ti ( Stock values) and saw a 20-25% increase in fps but its much smoother in game (still got the Oc headroom too).
maybe a new monitor when the time comes ( i quite fancy one of these
).
There are mixed vioews on the release scheudle unfortunately ........

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)