Clan Admin
FFF Member
Real Name
Mos or Pete will do just fine...
Steam ID
->FFF<-Sk3ll3n
Origin ID
RockNrolla1975
Ok so the wife's friend has had an incident with a plugin drive being knocked over and loosing all the files from said device ,
can anyone recommend a reputable company that offers a data recovery services her friend can post to UK or further afield if the price is right mainly music files im told not too old but around 1tb worth .
Much appreciated may get some brownie points off the pair of them and if im lucky in a shake & Vac
for christmas :sneaky:;)(y)

RobinHood

Clan Admin
FFF Member
Real Name
Alex
Eeek....proper data recovery can be very expensive.

Even basic recovery can run into the hundreds of pounds.

How valuable is the data to them?

How bust is the drive?

Whatever the result, they should sign up to Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive straight away and ensure all their other data is backed to to the cloud forever onwards.

I keep a copy of everything on either Google Drive or Dropbox these days, I don't have anything saved to standard local only user document folders any more, except for the desktop.

Anything that's not backed up to dropbox is backed up to a second HDD

RobinHood

Clan Admin
FFF Member
Real Name
Alex
For the music replacement, tell them to sign up to Spotify, replace the entire library for a tenner a month ;)

AnthraXFPS

FFF Member
Hey lads just chipping in :)

Even though there are programs out there that claim to get all your "lost" information off a HDD, it still doesn't, no matter how expensive the software is :(, it may recover most it may recover all, but just a heads up mate before you go spending money on a program that is useless, I usually tell my clients, unless its something that can't be replaced eg work documents etc then I wouldn't bother, some programs can cost more than the hard drives themselves

RobinHood

Clan Admin
FFF Member
Real Name
Alex
It's very much dependent on what way the drive was damaged and it's capability to even scan/read the drive. Whether it's physical damage or digital corruption.

RobinHood

Clan Admin
FFF Member
Real Name
Alex
Yeah @Anthrax2471

Nowadays I say there's absolutely no excuse not to have all your vital data backed up to the cloud. Any family or friends PC that I interact with I ensure that they have either Dropbox or Google Drive installed and instruct them to use that as their My Documents folder.

R3dw0lF

Cornholio
FFF Member
At the company i work at we had a HD with critical files on fail with no back up on the server, we sent the HD to a company in france i think and recovered the data. Total cost was around 1500€ so i'm not sure if this costs is justifiable for music files...
Rebuying everything via itunes/Google Play ... or a spotify/deezer subscription ;-)

RustyBullethole

FFF Member
Steam ID
ahwtrueno
Sorry Skell bit late with this but try Ontrack (as Robin linked) or Vogon if the data is important. They're expensive but can physically take the disk apart and create a temporary reconstruction of the platters in order to maximise the potential for recovery. I've used them once or twice to recover business data, it's pretty incredible what they can do (mind you it can run into tens of hundreds of pounds I recall paying about £1,500 for maximum recovery plus speedy turn around, you can save lots by not requesting a fast turnaround).

http://www.vogon-investigation.com/index.htm

When your wife's friend is back up and running I'd also recommend what Robin's suggested, some cloud based storage, however do ensure it's an EU based host. You can get a cheap Synology 1/2 bay NAS which can backup everything to the cloud automatically, I'd probably invest in one of those.

RustyB

RustyBullethole

FFF Member
Steam ID
ahwtrueno
Why do you say that, and who would you suggest?
I work with global organizations every day and data protection and privacy are the hottest topics on the agenda. Other than US based companies no one trusts US data centres. Canada on the other hand is considered secure. With what's been spoken about in the press recent regards the breakdown of Safe Harbour I'd recommend the safest place to keep your data in the cloud (if you don't want it snooped by the FBI) is the EU. Just because I have a few Synology NAS boxes myself, and there's a backup app for their devices that easily installed and configured, I'd recommend HiDrive. Never had a problem with them, datacentres in Germany where data privacy laws are some of the most stringent in the EU.

https://www.free-hidrive.com/

You can pay (and have to, to use the Synology app) and get more space but they offer a limited free service too.

RobinHood

Clan Admin
FFF Member
Real Name
Alex
Interesting, I'm aware of the increasing lack of faith in the ability to keep data in US data centres away from the prying eyes of the likes of the NSA and GCHQ. I appreciate it's a very important factor for businesses, especially when storing customer data or other sensitive data.

I'm completely against the concept of laws like the snoopers charter and other privacy violating laws and regulations that could potentially be passed through. But as an every day civlian and consumer, I'm not sure I can be arsed to move away from Dropbox and GDrive for my files.

I probably should be less apathetic about my personal files and more diligent and concerned.... That HiDrive looks good, might give it a go sometime.

OP
OP
[FFF]Skellen

[FFF]Skellen

Clan Admin
FFF Member
Real Name
Mos or Pete will do just fine...
Steam ID
->FFF<-Sk3ll3n
Origin ID
RockNrolla1975
What the hell are you lot conspiring about that your worried about Gchq Fbi Cia ?
They can look at anything thing they like on my pc, tbh if they wanna pop over &get down to some horny goats on busty 40+ milfs in pantyhose with me then the more the merrier bring your oil & lets get on it .

RustyBullethole

FFF Member
Steam ID
ahwtrueno
What the hell are you lot conspiring about that your worried about Gchq Fbi Cia ?
They can look at anything thing they like on my pc, tbh if they wanna pop over &get down to some horny goats on busty 40+ milfs in pantyhose with me then the more the merrier bring your oil & lets get on it .
That's a good point tbf. I store my business accounts on my NAS hence wanting a little peace of mind for your everyday home user data privacy should be a little less of a concern, music, photos and the like.

illUminuSS

Clan Admin
FFF Member
jeez so many details... all things popped up in my head.... anyone know a MiB to flash my brain, so it all goes away again? Pretty pls... :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom