Help me spec my new build

RobinHood

Clan Admin
FFF Member
Real Name
Alex
It's about time I upgraded now that GTA is coming out next month on the PC, the motherboard in my old PC is a bit dodgy and it's time for a freshen up.

old pc.JPG

Currently:

Case: Fractal Define R2 or R3
CPU: i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz
Cooler: Scythe Mugen
HDD: 2 x 2TB HDD
2 x 1.5TB HDD
SSD: 1 x 256GB Crucual M4 SSD
PSU: 550W Thermaltake blue PSU
GFX: Gigabyte Windforce 7970
RAM: 6 x 2GB RAM = 12GB
DVD: Internal 5.25"

I want the next one to be a compact mini-itx build, but capable of a full size graphics card.

Case: Not sure, maybe the Node 304 or the Prodigy Phenom. I like the black and the white version of these.

I quite like the large vent right by the graphics card on the node.

CPU: Not sure about this. Should I get one of the latest intel ones? Need to check performance comparison against my i7 920. Would like to do a moderate overclock to 4Ghz if possible, while keeping heat and therefore noise to a minimum.

I'm tempted to get a mini-itx x58 board and keep the i7 920 until the next CPU release...anyone know what's due out soon?

Mobo: Not sure, depends on CPU

Cooler: All in one or tower cooler? The tower cooler would direct air flow from the front of the case straight through to the back if I use the node 304. Not sure I'm sold on the AIO idea, surely the pumps make noise?

HDD: I want to cut this down to 2, max. Maybe keep my two 2TB drives.

SSD:1 x 500GB Samsung Evo - Already bought
1 x 256GB Crucual M4 SSD - May keep this, may sell it, not sure

PSU: This is tough if I use the node 304 as to leave clearance for a full length graphics card I either need to use an SFX PSU (small form factor) which is closer to 140mm in depth than the usual 160mm. Or if I'm using a regular ATX psu it probably has to be non-modular, but then that will leave a crap load of wires to jam away somewhere, and there's not much space. If it's a regular ATX modular PSU I need to carefully check the measurements to see if there's clearance. I'd like to use a regular psu that's very quiet or silent.

GFX: Gigabyte Windforce 7970 I'm keeping this, only got it in the summer.

RAM: 6 x 2GB RAM = 12GB. I could use some of my old ram sticks, except there will only be 2 slots on the mini-itx board, meaning I'll max out at 4GB :( I'll probably have to buy 2 x 8GB sticks.

DVD: None, I have an external usb one now.

Any thoughts or ideas? :)

OP
OP
RobinHood

RobinHood

Clan Admin
FFF Member
Real Name
Alex
If anyone is considering between the micro and mini version of the bitfenix phenom it seems the mini is awful in regards to air intake for the graphics card, so you should just go with the micro atx version which you can set up with two 120mm intake fans in the roof direct onto the card.

[FFF]Skellen

Clan Admin
FFF Member
Real Name
Mos or Pete will do just fine...
Steam ID
->FFF<-Sk3ll3n
Origin ID
RockNrolla1975
All the cases look superb mate, the 3rd down would look sweet oozing some light from a pair of cold cathodes out of that big vent on the side!

Rather than throwing the 2nd ssd out what about a Raid0 array ,also check the new mobo has Bios support for 12gb of Ram( mine quacks out at 8gb and will not use anymore than that) .

Don't know about mini psu`s tbh but id get a single rail the best you can afford and as you said a modular for sure (not cheap but a good one will last 5yrs+) and not cook all your expensive hardware !!

Id keep the 920 too rock solid Gaming cpu not worth upgrading imho ( im not chucking mine out any time soon) (y)

Good luck & enjoy loosing some hair putting her together :cautious: (y)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom